Special Sauce

A mish-mash of twisted thoughts from a fevered ego. Updated when the spirit moves me, contents vary and may have settled during shipping. Do not open towards eyes. Caution: Ingestion of Special Sauce may cause hair loss, halitosis, and a burning sensation while urinating.

11.30.2008

Leftover Turkey is My Bitch

Hell Yes it is. I just wish I had more of it to play with. I really want a turkey sandwich on rye. (Yes. For breakfast. What of it?)

The concept for this started out as a recreation of something tasty I actually got from the employee cafeteria. (Believe it or not, I've actually had TWO tasty somethings from there lately.) I pretty much deviated from their recipe entirely, but their inspiration was good...

1 package sliced mushrooms
1 red pepper
4 cups chicken broth (or something similar)
about 2 cups (give or take) shredded leftover turkey
1 diced medium onion
3 cloves minced garlic
1.5 cups quick cooking barley
about 1/4 cup (if that) fresh parsley
parmesan cheese to taste

Cook the pepper, onion, and mushrooms together till soft and tasty in a dutch oven or other heavy pan. When soft, add the garlic and saute for another 30 seconds till fragrant. Add the broth, bring to a boil and deglaze pan if necessary. Add turkey and barley, reduce heat to simmer, and cook appx 12 minutes. Stir occasionally. Test barley for doneness, if it's not chewy, stir in minced parsley, and serve with a grating of parmesan.


Note: You WILL have extra broth in there at the end of cooking. It will go away eventually- barley is thirsty. I liked the extra liquid at lunch, and it was gone by dinner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home